Intensifying competition and regulatory changes are on-going in the South African telecommunications market, driven by amongst other factors, convergence and the emergence of new technologies and services. Additionally, regulatory authorities are intensifying efforts to implement pro-competitive legislation. This changing competitive landscape is leading to market consolidation in a dramatically-altered market landscape. This report analyses these trends and quantifies their impact on the telecoms market.
Study focus areas and objectives
The report focuses on the entire telecoms services market, with an overview telecoms market sizing analysis and five-year forecast. The regulatory trends chapter shows how new laws and regulations have shaped and will continue shaping the telecoms industry and market structure in the face of increasing industry and technology convergence. Another key focus is on how new infrastructure- and services-based competition will play out, in the face of market consolidation. Finally an update is presented of the overall telecoms market sizing and growth, based on operator data and BMI-T forecasts, against a backdrop of global market trends and local regulatory scenarios.
Quantitative analysis and forecasts
This study is updated annually, and provides an up-to-date overview of the telecoms market including five year forecasts. The study is based on a combination of primary and secondary research and analysis, including further analysis of BMI-T in-depth studies on various market segments, which in turn are based on primary research including end user surveys and interviews with operators, service providers, and other stakeholders. Forecasts are based on scenario building, marketing modelling and industry structure assessment.
Market segmentation and forecast
- Cellular market dynamics
- Fixed line market dynamics
- Broadband overview including impact of smartphones, LTE, Wifi and FTTx
- Fixed and mobile player groupings – subscriber and revenue analysis
- Impact of new wholesale players including Open Access players
Key questions answered:
- What are the driving forces shaping the future telecoms market?
- What are the key opportunities and threats arising from changing regulatory environment?
- How will this play out in the market in terms of:
- Intensity of competition and pricing?
- Growth in the market?
- Infrastructure- vs services-based competition?
- Open access initiatives?
- New entrants?
- Strategic alliances?
- Mergers and acquisitions?
- What are the likely activities and strategic thinking on the part of the players in each industry layer, and how will this influence growth and competition in the industry?